We Can Help You Recover
The Compensation You Need &
The Peace of Mind You Deserve.

Hit and Run Accidents Attorneys in Scottsdale Assisting Injury Victims Obtain the Fair Compensation They Deserve

If you or a family member have been involved in a hit-and-run accident, you may not know how to go about recovering compensation for your injuries and property damage. Arizona law requires drivers involved in an accident to remain at the scene or return as soon as possible to provide details such as their name, driver’s license, and insurance information.

This information must be reported to law enforcement officials or the other driver. If the driver involved in an accident fails to stop or return to the accident scene, it is considered a hit-and-run. In addition, depending on the facts involved, if the driver leaves the scene, they could be charged with a misdemeanor or a felony.

If you have suffered injuries or property damage to your vehicle due to a hit-and-run accident, the Wilson Ortiz Law Firm of Scottsdale, AZ, can help you file a claim. Hit-and-run accidents can be overly complex because the other driver is often never found, and victims must fall back onto their own insurance for compensation.

Contact the Wilson Ortiz Law Firm and ask to schedule a consultation to discuss your case and learn what legal options may be available.

What Should I Do After Being Involved in a Hit and Run Accident?

In many instances, people involved in hit-and-run accidents are confused about what to do and how to protect themselves. However, there are specific steps that individuals can take to protect their health and future ability to file a claim.

These steps include:

  • Remain at the scene and call law enforcement to report the accident.
    If you or any passenger in the vehicle are injured, call 911 immediately and ask for emergency responders.
  • Take photos of the damage to your car.
  • Collect the names and contact information of any bystanders who may have witnessed the accident.
  • If possible, write down everything you can remember about the other vehicle that hit you, such as the color, make, model, and license plate number.
  • Go to the hospital or see a doctor for a thorough medical exam. Some insurance companies will only pay for medical bills if you are examined by a healthcare provider immediately after the accident.
  • As soon as possible, contact an experienced hit-and-run accident attorney like those of the Wilson Ortiz Law Firm to assist you with your case.

What is a Felony Hit and Run Accident?

Arizona law stipulates that when a driver leaves the scene of an accident that involves injury or death, they may be charged with a felony. State law requires a driver to stop when an injury has occurred to notify authorities, render aid, and call for medical assistance to help the injured party.

If the injured party suffers a minor injury and the driver fails to stop, they may be charged with a Class 5 felony. However, if the hit-and-run accident results in severe injury or death, the driver will be charged with a Class 3 felony. If the accident did not result in injuries but the driver still fled the scene, they will face Class 2 felony charges.

The law enforcement officer overseeing the accident must file an official report within 24 hours of the accident. The official report provides the pertinent facts of the accident, including the day, time, how it occurred, and other information, such as all involved parties and witness statements.

Arizona has a 7-year statute of limitations on hit-and-run cases if the victim was accidentally hit and died. However, if the hit and run was intentional and the victim died, it is considered murder, to which there is no statute of limitations.

If you have been severely injured in a hit-and-run accident, contact the Wilson Ortiz Law Firm so that we may advise you of your legal options.

How Can I Recover Compensation After a Hit and Run Accident?

Under normal circumstances, the at-fault driver is responsible for the injured party’s property damage and medical expenses if an accident occurs. However, if the at-fault driver flees the scene, it can make holding them accountable nearly impossible.

However, in some cases, law enforcement officials can track down the driver who fled by using security systems, traffic cameras, or witness accounts that provide information about the car in question.

If the police can track down the driver and they are insured, you can file a claim with their insurance company.

However, a driver often flees an accident because they do not have a valid driver’s license or no insurance. If this occurs, you could file a lawsuit against the driver to try and recover damages. Be that as it may, often uninsured drivers do not have the assets necessary to compensate the victim.

The last option is to file a claim with your insurance company to recover compensation. In cases of hit-and-run accidents, it pays for drivers to have uninsured motorist coverage. Although carrying Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist for Bodily Injury (UMBI) is not mandatory, it is highly recommended, especially if you live in an urban area where hit-and-run accidents are more prevalent.

Why Do I Need to Hire a Hit and Run Accident Attorney to Help Me With My Claim?

Many hit-and-run accident victims have no other option but to turn to their insurance provider to try and recover compensation for property damage, medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering. However, insurance companies are focused on maintaining their bottom line rather than on what is best for claimants.

Sadly, in many cases, an insurance provider may not be willing to pay what a claim is worth. Instead, they may offer you a quick but inadequate financial recovery that does not account for your future medical bills or time missed at work.

Therefore, it is always in your best interest to hire a knowledgeable hit-and-run attorney to assist you with your claim and protect your legal rights.

If you have been the victim of a hit-and-run accident, contact the Wilson Ortiz Law Firm of Scottsdale, AZ, at 623-294-1442 and ask to schedule a consultation to discuss your case.